Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Pocket Card Tutorial

I'm working on making save the date cards for my aunt's wedding. I think I've made about 4 different versions on this card now, all using different color combos. Her wedding is going to be this Fall and she likes a color combination that she saw in a wedding magazine. I think that these two colors, Ruby Red and Blush Blossom, are the closest I can get to the ones she likes. Of all the different combos I've tried, this one is by far my favorite. What do you think?

I also thought since I was working on these cards and making this pocket fold design, I would use this for the tutorial this week.


To make a pocket fold card, you will need...

For the card base: 1 piece of 4 1/4" X 11" cardstock, here I used the Blush color. 1 piece of 4" X 4" cardstock in a coordinating color, 1 piece of 3 3/4" X 3 3/4" neutral cardstock both of these pieces are for the front of the card.

For the insert: 1 piece of 3 1/5" X 5" cardstock in the same coordinating color as the front piece, 1 piece of 3 1/4" X 4 3/4" cardstock in the neutral. Here I used Ruby Red and Very Vanilla.

Lastly, some embellishments to dress up your card, sticky strip, scoring tool, punches.


1. Score your 4 1/4" X 11" cardstock at 5 1/2" and 1 1/4". Then fold along the score lines. I added some scalloped edging to the front flap of my card using the corner rounder punch.

2. Round the top 2 corners of the card base, this is optional.

3. Adhere the front piece to the back piece using sticky strip tape. Add the tape from the bottom score line to the top score line, fold and stick. Be sure to stay right along the edge of the card. This will be your pocket. Do not adhere the 1 1/4" flap at this time.

4. Add ribbon to the front flap. Embellish the flap to your liking.

5. Glue your two front pieces together. You can stamp images here or do as I did and dry emboss the neutral piece. Once they are finished the way you want them, glue them to the front of the card.

6. Glue the ribbon flap piece down to the finished front of your card. Set this finished card aside.

7. Corner round the two insert pieces (optional). Stamp and embellish you neutral insert piece and then glue to the colored cardstock insert.

8. Add a tab punch if desired. Embellish.

9. Finish your card by putting the insert in the card base.


Pretty simple and fun! Happy Stamping! :)
There's still time to enter for the blog candy, scroll down and post a comment!

15 comments:

Erin... said...

Very pretty!!I love the rhinestone brad with the organdy ribbon. And I love how the stamped image coordinates with the embossing on the front.

Erin... said...

Also, I tagged you!

Dawn Wheeler said...

Wow so stunning and beautiful ,love it ,Dawnx

Alex said...

This is a beautiful pocket card Denise - these are so fun to make! Love the ribbon and the bling! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

Samantha Esqueda said...

LOVE IT! Your Aunt is very lucky to have you!

Lauren said...

Beautiful pocket card. The embossing on the front is divine. TFS!

Andrea, said...

Beautiful card and I love the embossing on the front, it looks so elegant

Jo said...

This is beautiful Denise...I'm sure your Aunt will love them and I'll definitely be making one of these when my "to do" list reduces a bit. Thanks for the tutorial.

Sandy said...

Really really elegant. Love the white embossing background. Fantastic work.

Catherine said...

This is so pretty!

Annie said...

aha! I've just made one of these for my next SPS sketch - my resolution is to do them all this year! I'll be posting it on my blog later tonight or in the morning.

Dawn♥ said...

absolutely stunning!

Lynn said...

This is so pretty and elegant looking. The embossing on front adds such a nice touch...I'm sure your Aunt will love them!

Alesha Walls said...

Beautiful card!

Shelley said...

This card is pretty! Love the embossed paper!