Friday, December 21, 2007

Finally Friday Challenge

Happy Friday!!!

I was just visiting Erin's blog and saw that she has a new post for her "It's Finally Friday Challenge!" This week, Erin is challenging everyone to make a project about celebrating or being happy. She got her new Stampin' Up! Spring/Summer Collection catalog and feels like celebrating. I wish I had mine, should be here today though! Then I'll be celebrating too!

Although I don't have time to stamp today, way too busy with the Christmas crunch, I do have a card that I made recently that fits the rules of this challenge, so I thought I would share. Hope this inspires you to take on the "It's Finally Friday Challenge" too! Have fun!


This card is a gel card, it's suppose to give the illusion of the stamped image being in water. Not sure if you are able to see the bubbles from the gel, but there is gel over the jelly fish. For a good tutorial on how to make these cards visit SCS.

For the paper colors I used Night of Navy, Brocade Blue, Black, and White cardstock. I used the Fishy Wheel to create a background on the Brocade. I cut two ovals, using my Coluzzle cutter, one on the Brocade and one on the Black. I then put them together to create a matte effect. Next, I stamped and colored the jelly fish image (this stamp is from the retired set Fishy Friends from Stampin' Up!) on the White.

Now for the fun part... I used a tiny ziplock baggie (the size you might use to store jewelry) that I found in the craft section at Wal-Mart to hold the gel. Fill the baggie with a small amount of hair gel, about the size of a nickel or quarter, seal the baggie and smooth out the gel to fill the bag to the edges.

Next, glue the filled gel baggie to the back of the Black oval and then adhere the White stamped image piece over the baggie. Now you should have the image showing through the ovals, like a window or framed piece of art. Hope that makes sense.

I attached some ribbon in black and blues and then mounted my finished matte piece to the Night of Navy card base. Lastly, I stamped Happy Birthday at the top of my card. This stamp is from stamp set Happy Everything from Stampin' Up! Hope you like it. Give the gel (water) card a try! Happy Holidays Everyone! :)

7 comments:

April Hall said...

This came out great! I have wanted to try this for a long time, and now i'm definately going to have to!

Cindy Beach said...

I love your gel card. It's so cute and definitely happy!

Andrea, said...

fab card, that stamp is so cute and a great idea using the gel

Just me said...

That is adorable. I love the layout and the stamp. So cute!!

Sandy said...

Oh lovely. The Stamp is so beautiful. Brilliant Card.
I wish you a merry Christmas.

Hugs
Sister Sandy

Dawn♥ said...

WOW cute card! Glad you got your cataloge in the mail!

Anonymous said...

This is such a darling card!! Love it!! TFS!! :)